Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Local Policeman Killed in Fox Lake, Illinois: How I Found Out About It

Today will certainly be a day to remember in this area of Illinois.  At around 8 a.m., a Fox Lake police lieutenant, Joe Gliniewicz,  was killed by three culprits when he broke up what appears to be a robbery.

I didn't know anything about it when I left home here in nearby Spring Grove, right up US Highway 12 about four miles from Fox Lake.  This was at about 12:40 p.m..  The first idea that I had that something was going on was when I took Sayton Drive by the Walgreens on US-12 and could not go east on Rollins Road as it was blocked by police.  I then saw a helicopter, but with all the road construction going on in the area, figured that was yet another closed road.

But when I saw two WGN sound vans parked in the shopping plaza, I knew something was going on. I would have called Liz to tell her to check the news, but I was driving and it is against the law to talk on cell phones in Illinois.

 I took Grand Avenue to Il-59 and then Wilson Road back to Rollins and into Round Lake Beach to see "Man From Uncle" at the Regal Theater on Rollins.  When I got to the door of it, I saw a sign that they were temporarily closed due to a problem in the area.  Since the attempted shooting last week, Regal Theaters have instituted a search policy for anyone bringing bags into their theaters.  They are being very careful about the crazies.

A woman came out and told me that a cop had been shot in Fox Lake and that there were several suspects on the loose.  The theater would be closed until this was over.

--RoadDog

No comments: