Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, June 25, 2010

It's a Lincoln Thing-- Day 3

Living in Illinois, I have driven our stretch of the Lincoln Highway on several occasions, but I am sure seeing stuff I had never seen before. That's how good this conference is.

And, I'm not even going to go into the food, but WOW!! If you go away hungry any day, it's your own fault.

Much better weather today. Not one single storm.

Today, we headed west. Of course, places were pointed out to us along the way. I saw two short stretches of the Lincoln Highway that I had never seen, as well as Boy Scout markers that I have continually passed.

Arrived in Fulton on the Mississippi River and toured the new Windmill Museum which just opened in April and features 23 scale models of different windmills. Then, there was Der Immigrant, the full-size operating windmill atop the Mississippi Levee. Spent quite a bit of time sitting in the little park by it admiring the river and even got to see a small steamboat go by.


COWS ON THE BUS

We were at the back of the bus with a group of boys and every time the tour guide mentioned cows, there was mooing enough to make any herd proud along with cackling and bleating. I tell you, it was a real animal yard without any of the smells.


A RIVER, A BOAT RIDE, A FEAST

We drove back to Dixon and went off the Lincoln north to Oregon, Illinois, where we took a buffet cruise on the Pride of Oregon paddle wheel boat (and the wheels actually powered the boat). One of the best buffets I've ever had and besides the great views (and disturbing numerous turtles sunning themselves), we were treated to some great views of the famous Lorado Taft statue of Chief Blackhawk.

Then, we toured the John Deere original homestead and blacksmith site in Grand Detour. Lots of information and the on-site blacksmith is easily worth the price of admission ($5) all by himself. What a show!


LATER, THAT NIGHT

Later that night, there was a classic car show and a 50s-style dinner at the Brandywine Restaurant between Dixon and Sterling.

Afterwards, Denny and I, went to The White House, a popular place for chicken and steak dating back to at least the 1940s. We had a nice talk with the bartender and co-owner. Last stop was at The Last Stop, north on Galena Avenue. Denny got to try his first Apple Pie shot.

A Busy Day. I Need to Get Home and Rest Up From My Vacation. --RoadDog


You're just jealous 'cause I'm the only one who gets to talk to myself.

4 comments:

Empoprises said...

After reading your prior post, I went and checked out the conference website. Sounds like an interesting conference! I live several hundred miles away from the California portion of the Lincoln Highway, but I used to live 1/4 mile from Route 66. (I'm now 2 miles away.)

Your back of the bus friends may appreciate this joke:

Q: What do cows do on a Saturday night?
A: Go to the MOOOOOvies.

RoadDog said...

Ohhhhh BAAAAAAd One. Who let the sheep in?

By the way, next year's conference is in Lake Tahoe.

We're thinking of cruising Route 66 from end-to-end this fall so will be out your way.

We'd still like a chance to stay a night inthe Wigwam Motel.

Empoprises said...

Which one? There's one in California and one farther east (Arizona I think).

RoadDog said...

Either one would be fine. Back in 2006, we cruised the whole way. Each time we got to a Wigwam, it was too early to stop.