Friday, February 28, 2020
From the May 28, 2019, ListVerse by Himanshu Sharma. I am just listing them. Go to the site to find out more.
10. Professional sleeper
9. Parabolic expert
8. Professional mourner
7. White Hat hacker
6. Iceberg mover
4. Foodstylist (Are these the guys who get the burgers on TV commercials looking so big?)
3. Lego Master Bulder (Nah, I just step on 'em. I guess I qualify for Lego Stepper Oner.)
2. Shark tank cleaner
1. Odor judge.
I'd like to add one. How about Fast Commercial Talker. You know, those guys at the end of a commercial who give you five minutes worth of information in a few seconds.
There You Go. --RoadBerg
RANDOM ANIMAL THOUGHTS: PARROT: "Tease, tease, tease! But to those greedy clowns ever give me a cracker" HECK, NO!!!!"
Thursday, February 27, 2020
BO WINBERG, 80
Died January 3, 2020
Lead guitarist with Swedish instrumental group Spotnicks.
Together with the Shadows and the Ventures they are counted as the most influential instrumental bands in the 1960s. Famous for wearing space suits on stage. No U.S Top 100 songs, but had four Top 100s in U.K.
I'd never heard of them, but check them out on You Tube. Really fine instrumentals.
Wednesday, February 26, 2020
Stucky's is located in Johnsburg, Illinois.
Served from 5 to 8 pm Wednesday. I already have my reservations for this meal.
And, it is all you can eat. And, just $12.95!!!!
FIRST COURSE: Bayou Crab Chowder
SECOND COURSE: Jambalaya with red beans & rice
THIRD COURSE: Catfish with hush puppies
FOURTH COURSE: Po Boy with pulled pork, slaw and fried pickles
FIFTH COURSE: Beignets with caramel sauce
Salivating Just Thinking About It. --RoadHog
Yesterday, Liz and I got our Mardi Gras on despite not being in Florida at Panama City beach for a second year in a row. But, you can still have fun here in the Northlands if you want to.
We got out our Mardi Gras shirts. Mine says "Got Beads?" We then tapped into one of our bags of "caught" beads from the Mardi Gras parades we went to in Panama City and Panama City Beach. We have quite a large collection, despite never actually trying to catch beads.
We drove to Bodi's Bakery in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin, where we had ordered a King Cake and we also picked up a couple of their paczkis. There was quite a rush of people in there getting paczkis.
Then we went to Donovan's Reef where we shared the King Cake with the folks there. This is something we do for Mardi Gras every time we are up here for it. Next, we went to Stucky's in Johnsburg, where they were having their own Mardi Gras party. Kelly had a great internet station on playing seasonal music. It was all Mardi Gras type music and some of the best I've ever heard.
Their Mardi Gras food, though, is going to be served on Wednesday as part of their 5-course family dinner. I'll be there for it. I'll list the courses in my next post in a little while.
It Was a Festive Time. --RoadGras
Either yesterday or Monday was George Harrison's birthday. He was born right at midnight either February 24 or February 25, 1943, so this is the question. It doesn't really matter though. Sadly, he died November 29, 2001. He would have been 76.
George was always my favorite of the Beatles from the get-go and could he ever play that lead guitar. It was too bad that the big two Beatles wouldn't give him much of a chance to do his stuff.
But, anyway, in honor of George's birthday, both Bob Stroud on his Rock and Roll Roots show on Chicago's WDRV and Terri Hemmert on her Breakfast with the Beatles show on Chicago's WXRT had their shows dedicated to George on this past Sunday.
Here are some of the songs they played:
ROCK AND ROLL ROOTS Beatles unless *. Then that is George Harrison
ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN
WHAT IS LIFE*
I'M HAPPY JUST TO DANCE WITH YOU
LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD*
YOU LIKE ME TOO MUCH
MY SWEET LORD*
I NEED YOU
GIVE ME LOVE*
I WANT TO TELL YOU
IF NOT FOR YOU*
WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
ALL THINGS MUST PASS*
Way To Go, George. --RoadGeorge
See if you can guess the movies in the headline.
Past Movie Scratches-- Movies I saw on TV in 2019.
25. NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET-- 1-29-- Real bad dude with a horrid sense of humor.
26. EDDIE & THE CRUISERS-- 1-30-- Twenty years later. Where's Eddie Wilson? Eddie lives.
27. GROUNDHOG DAY-- 1-31-- "Morons, your bus is leaving!"
28. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS-- 2-3-- We find out what the Deathly Hallows are/is. Old No-Nose, Lord Valdemort, gets his wand.
29. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS 2-- 2-4-- The Battle of Hogwarts. Harry finds out a lot. Neville Longbottom the hero!!! Lord Valdemort gets his.
30. FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM-- 2-7-- All he wanted to do was start a bakery. Beware the Obscuras.
I'm a Big Harry Potter Fan. --RoadPott
RANDOM ANIMAL THOUGHTS: GOLDFISH: "The knight never comes out of the castle to fight me for domination in the fish tank. So I must continue patrolling, for I am lord and master."
Monday, February 24, 2020
Past Movie Scratches-- Movies seen on TV in 2019.
19. FORREST GUMP-- 1-23-- Finish this: "Life is like a box of _____." Lt. Dan, Jenny and Bubba.
20. BIG-- 1-23-- Careful what you wish for, The floor piano and mini corn scenes-- CLASSIC.
21. SIXTEEN CANDLES-- 1-26-- They forgot her 16th birthday, but she got her guy anyway. You just had to love Anthony Michael Hall.
22. SECRETARIAT-- 1-28-- Big Red likes to do three things: Run, Eat and Pose for Photos.
23. WALKING TALL-- 1-28-- Road House Part 2. Dwayne Johnson cleans up his old town.
24. ROAD HOUSE-- 1-29-- Cleaning up the bar and the town, or why he buys old beaters to drive.
Run, Red, Run!!!! Stop, Forrest, Stop!!! --RoadHorse
RANDOM ANIMAL THOUGHTS: DOG: "Man, why do they keep rubbing my nose in it? I already KNOW whose it is!"
Sunday, February 23, 2020
Starting next week, because of this year's Leap Year, these will be published on Mondays. The next one will be on Monday, March 2.
Fifty Years Ago in Chicago.
1. BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER-- Simon & Garfunkel
2. THANK YOU-- Sly & The Family Stone
3. WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / TRAVELIN' BAND-- Creedence Clearwater Revival
4. THE RAPPER-- Jaggers
5. PSYCHEDELIC SHACK-- Temptations
6. RAINY NIGHT IN GEORGIA-- Brook Benton
7. HEY THERE LONELY GIRL-- Eddie Holman
8. NO TIME-- Guess Who
9. DIDN'T I-- Delfonics
10. ARIZONA-- Mark Lindsay
28. GOTTA HOLD ON TO THIS FEELING-- Jr. Walker / AllStars
34. JENNIFER THOMPKINS-- Street People
35. COME AND GET IT-- Badfinger
36. INSTANT KARMA-- John Lennon
37. SPIRIT IN THE SKY-- Norman Greenbaum
38. UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO-- Neil Diamond
39. STIR IT UP & SERVE IT-- Tommy Roe
40. TICKET TO RIDE-- Carpenters
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "I Gave My Heart And Soul To You Girl" Answer below. --RoadDog
Saturday, February 22, 2020
Many mornings I listen to this radio station out of North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, as it plays Beach Music and oldies.
Jim Morgan now handles the morning show and is a worthy successor to Stevie B (Stephen Blackburn) and the legendary Beach Guy himself, Billy Smith (The Old BS-er).
Every weekday, Jim Morgan takes us back to a year in Beach history. Friday the 13th he took us to 1972 and played these three songs:
BRANDY-- Looking Glass
EVERYBODY PLAYS THE FOOL-- Main Ingredient
NICE TO BE WITH YOU-- Gallery
IF YOU DON'T WATCH OUT I'LL FALL BACK IN LOVE WITH YOU AGAIN-- Stylistics
He also takes us back to the year with other information.
The Top Four TV shows:
2. Sanford & Son
1. All in the Family
Pong was released this year.
You Remember Pong, Don't You? --RoadPong
Friday, February 21, 2020
See if you can guess the names of the movies with the one word title above.
Past Movie Scratches-- Movies I saw on TV in 2019.
13. THE HOBBITT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES-- 1-17-- Smaug does a number on Laketown. Who has that Arkenstone?
14. SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION-- 1-19-- One man's prison experience. Brooks death, so very sad.
15. CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR-- 1-19-- It's Avenger vs. Avenger. Pick your side. We meet the Wakandans and the Black Panther.
16. LONDON HS FALLEN-- 1-21-- All the violence you ca possibly stand. Protecting the President again.
17. TWISTER-- 1-21-- "We've got cows!!" You've really got to wonder about people who chase after tornadoes.
18. GRAVITY-- 1-21-- Does Matt ever shut up?
That Hobbitt and Dwarfs. --RoadSmaug
RANDOM ANIMAL THOUGHTS: GOLDFISH: "Just because I have a three-second memory, they don't think I'll mind eating the same fish flakes.... OH BOY! Fish Flakes!!"
Thursday, February 20, 2020
MARTY GREBB, 73
Died January 1, 2020
Guitarist, keyboardist and touring musician. Played with Chicago's Buckinghams (just inducted into the Illinois Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), Rick Danko, Eric Clapton, Etta James and Bonnie Raitt.
Played keyboards with the Buckinghams in their heyday in the 1960s.
Tuesday, February 18, 2020
Movie Scratches-- Movies I Have Seen At the Theater This Year.
5. 1917-- 1-23-- Fox Lake, $6-- Trenches, rats, planes, snipers and the horrors of war. What more could a guy want?
6. JOJO RABBIT-- 1-27-- Fox Lake, $6-- A unique movie set in the waning days of Nazi Germany. Humorous, sad and horrible at the same time. And, the pretend Hitler.
7. 1917-- 1-28-- A day in the life and what a day. What a way to deliver the mail. Gives new credence to that old saying about the mailmen and delivery. One of those movies you just have to see on the big screen twice.
8. STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER-- 1-28-- Fox Lake, $5-- "Rea, I am your grandfather. You are a Palpatine Sith. YUCK!!!
Love Those New Seats in the Classic Cinemas Fox Lake Theatre. --RoadDog
RANDOM ANIMAL THOUGHTS ( From the Orange Peel Gazette) DOG:: "They keep putting the lid down on the big water bowl."
Monday, February 17, 2020
NEIL INNES, 74
Died 29 December 2019
Musician, comedian. member of the satire bands Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band and the Rutles. Considered the seventh member of the Monty Python troupe.
All I can say is go to You Tube and watch videos. Especially the George Harrison "Pirate Song"
Real funny guy.
Sunday, February 16, 2020
These were the top ten songs in Chicago on WLS 890 AM, fifty years ago. That long?
1. BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER-- Simon & Garfunkel
2. THANK YOU-- Sly & the Family Stone
3. WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / TRAVELIN' BAND-- Creedence Clearwater Revival
4. PSYCHEDELIC SHACK-- Temptations
5. HEY THERE LONELY GIRL-- Eddie Holman
6. NO TIME-- Guess Who
7. ARIZONA-- Mark Lindsay
8. THE RAPPER-- Jaggerz
9. MY BELLE AMIE-- Tee Set
10. IF I NEVER KNEW YOUR NAME-- Vic Dana
37. CELEBRATE-- Three Dog Night
38. DO THE FUNKY CHICKEN-- Rufus Thomas
39. EVIL WAYS-- Santana
40. TAKE A LOOK AROUND-- Smith
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "737 Comin' Out Of The Sky, Oh Won't You Take Me Down To Memphis." Answer below. --RoadDog
NORMA TANEGA, 80
Died 29 December 2019
Singer, songwriter. Worked with Dusty Springfield.
A real one-hit-wonder with the song "Walking My Cat Named Dog" (#22-1966). Hit #22 in UK and #3 in Canada. The idea for the song came from when she was living in New York City in an apartment building that didn't allow dogs. So, she kept a cat instead and name it "Dog." She took the cat out for walks.
I don't know, I once tried to take the family cat out for a walk and didn't have much luck. The leash just didn't work.
THOMAS PAUSLEY LaBEEF, 84
Died 26 December 2019
Born in Smackover, Arkansas (Population 1,865). (How's that for a small town name?) Received the name "Sleepy" because of a sleepy eye.
Never had a pop top 40, but two songs hit on the country charts "Every Day" #73 in 1968) and "Blackland Farmer" (#67-1971).
If you like rockabilly or early 50s type rock and roll with a dose of country, give a listen on You Tube.
Friday, February 14, 2020
The murderer came into Cole Hall, a massive lecture hall at approximately 3:05 CST and began his killing and wounding. There were 120 students in there and by the time he killed himself, five students were dead.
It is now 2:55 pm, so just about the correct time that long ago.
We were at K.C.'s Cabin in Spring Grove, Illinois, having dinner when we saw what looked like NIU's campus on TV. The sound was down but eventually they had a caption at the bottom saying what had happened.
We saw it at the same time as another couple who really got worried because their daughter was there. Fortunately she was okay as she called them soon after we saw it. We also had a friend by the name of Gayle who was a grad student there, but we found out she was alright as well.
We'll be wearing our NIU clothes today with the black ribbons showing out support and memories.
A Horrible Event.
Thursday, February 13, 2020
Well, maybe I didn't see four of the movies nominated for Best Picture, but, in my opinion, I have seen two movies that SHOULD have been nominated but weren't.
They were "Just Mercy" and "The Last Full Measure."
"Just Mercy" was about a man's unjust conviction for a horrible murder in Alabama. "The Last Full measure" was about the effort to secure the Medal of Honor for a Vietnam Air Force pararescueman.
These movies really moved me. I see many movies and am almost always entertained, but it is the rare one that moves me.
TAX FACTS: Taxes eat up 38.2% of the average family's income; that's more than for food, clothing and shelter combined.
Tuesday, February 11, 2020
Well,I decided to go ahead and watch the Academy Awards show on Sunday, despite the fact I hadn't seen four of the movies nominated for Best Picture, nor but 2 of 5 Best Directors. one Best Actor, one Best Actress, none of the Best Supporting Actors and 3 of 5 Best Supporting Actress and just one of the five Best Animated Features.
I did not see Best Picture nominees:
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
I wish I had seen "Parasite" as this foreign film did very well, winning Best Picture, Best Director and a whole bunch of others. I think if they had had best Actors and Actresses as well as supporting ones, they would have won those as well.
And, I had an opportunity to see it this past week at my local theater, but decided against it as it was all subtitled and even a real little bit of those subtitles goes a long way with me.
But generally, I find that all the films nominated for Best Picture are good ones.
Congrats to "Parasite." Maybe I'll get A Chance to See It Some Time. --RoadSite
TAX FACTS: 60% of taxpayers must hire a professional to get through their own return.
Monday, February 10, 2020
10. ARIZONA-- Mark Lindsay #10
9. WITHOUT LOVE-- Tom Jones #5
8. I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN-- Dionne Warwick #6
7. IF I NEVER KNEW YOUR NAME-- Vic Dana #47
6. BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER-- Simon & Garfunkel #1
5. WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / TRAVELIN' BAND-- Creedence Clearwater Revival #2
4. PSYCHEDELIC SHACK-- Temptations #7
3. HEY THERE LONELY GIRL-- Eddie Holman #2
2. NO TIME-- Guess Who #5
1. THANK YOU-- Sly & Family Stone #1
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "Good Men Through the Ages, Trying To Find the Sun." Answer below. --RoadDog
"Who'll Stop the Rain"
Sunday, February 9, 2020
I haven't made up my mind as to whether I'll watch the Academy Awards tonight and mostly because I will have seen so few nominees.
Ford v Ferrari
Sam Mendes 1917
Todd Phillips Joker
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Florence Pugh Little Women
Kathy Bates Richard Jewell
Scarlet Johansson Jojo Rabbit
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
15. MY ELUSIVE DREAMS-- Bobby Vinton #46 Always up there with "Honey" in gag appeal.
14. THE RAPPER-- Jaggerz #2 From Pittsburgh. More COWBELL!!! A rapper at this time was a guy who had smooth lines with chicks.
13. MA BELLE AMIE-- Tee Set #5 Dutch group. Always love the organ after they the words "Ma Belle Amie."
12. VENUS-- Shocking Blue #1 Another Dutch group. What was this? The Dutch Invasion? Watch the video. She still reminds me a bit of Linda Ronstadt.
11. WALKIN' IN THE RAIN-- Jay & the Americans #19 Just good pop. Their last big hit. Jay was John Traynor.
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "You Were A Child Of the Sun, of the Sky and the Deep Blue Sea." Answer below. --RoadDog
"Ma Belle Amie"
Fifty years ago in Chicago.
20. RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD-- B.J. Thomas #1 When I hear this song I always think of those two on the bicycle from that movie.
19. ALWAYS SOMETHING THERE TO REMIND ME-- R.B. Greaves #27 That remake in the 1980s was a cover. Best known for his "Take A Letter Maria" (#2-1969). Born Ronald Bertram Aloysius Greaves in 1944.
18. SAVE THE COUNTRY-- Thelma Houston #74 A Laura Nyro song. make sure you see the Soul of the North video of the four black chicks and the white guy dancing. Her next Top 100 song went to #1 in 1977. "Don't Leave Me This Way" in case you're wondering.
17. WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES-- Joe South #12 Read the lyrics to this song. Something we could really use in these divided days. Born Joe Souter in 1940.
16. BLOWING AWAY-- Fifth Dimension #21 Another Laura Nyro song, see Song #18. In 1969, they hit #1 with another Laura Nyro song. "Wedding Bell Blues" in case you're wondering.
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "Yeah, Before You Abuse, Criticize and Accuse." Answer below. --RoadDog
"Walk A Mile In My Shoes"
Saturday, February 8, 2020
JSIS-- Just Some Interesting Stuff
1. DEMOCRATS BEHAVING POORLY-- I watched the Presidential State of the Union Address, or should we have called it, "Democrats Behaving Poorly." They hit a new low. A bunch of petulant children. Had they been in my classroom, especially the one sitting behind the President, they or she would have been sent to the principal's office. And, both Liz and I did not vote for Donald Trump in the last election. Maybe not this year, and we'd really like to vote against him again.
2. "JUST MERCY"-- I just saw this movie this week and in my opinion should have had Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor nominations. This movie really moved me and perhaps there is something to Blacks saying they don't get proper credit in the film industry.
3. CONGRATS KANSAS CITY CHIEFS-- What a game! One of the best Super Bowls ever. What a comeback!! Liz and I were pulling for the Chiefs since they are Midwest and win about as often as Chicago. Loved the Bill Murray Jeep commercial. We also were pulling for the 49ers with the local connection of quarterback Tony Garappalo from local Arlington heights and EIU, Jimmie Ward from NIU and Robbie Gould from Da Bears.
Well Have to See. --RoadDog
KENNY LYNCH, 81
Died 18 December 2019
Actor, entertainer, singer, songwriter. Had Top 40 UK singles in the early 1960s. Never had a Top 100 hit in the United States.
In 1963, toured with the Beatles on their first British tour. Helen Shapiro was the top act on the tour. He also is known as the first artist to cover a Beatles song, "Misery."
1960 Mountain of Love #33
1962 Puff (Up in Smoke) #33
1962 Up On the Roof #10
1963 You Can Never Stop Loving Me #10
When I do the Top 40 once a month, I listen to all 40 songs on You Tube which really takes me back. Every month there are songs I don't remember hearing, so those songs get several listenings.
25. GIVE ME JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME-- Chairmen of the Board #3 General Johnson and his group before it was Beach Music. Don't you just love any song where the singer goes "brrrrrrrr!" Formed in Detroit in 1969.
24. ON ME, OH MY-- Lulu #22 From Scotland. She was once married to Maurice Gibb, one of the Gibb Brothers you know as the BeeGees. Of course, her biggest hit was 1967's "To Sir With Love" from the movie which went to #1.
23. HONEY COME BACK-- Glen Campbell #19 A talk-through at the beginning. Who says country ain't pop?
22. RAINY NIGHT IN GEORGIA-- Brook Benton #4 One comment calls it "Pure Heart and Soul. His last big hit. From Camden, South Carolina.
21. HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S MY BROTHER-- Hollies #7 Those strong Hollies vocals. Formed in Manchester, England in 1962.
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "The Road Is Long With Many A Winding Turn." Answer below. RoadDog
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"
Friday, February 7, 2020
I get how high the songs got on the Billboard Hot 100 charts from Joel Whitburn's "Top Pop Singles 1955-1993."
30. JAM UP AND JELLY TIGHT-- Tommy Roe #8 Just 2:13 long. Could have been much longer on this great little pop song. Was this a "dirty" song? His last Top Ten.
29. WINTER WORLD OF LOVE-- Engelbert Humperdinck #16 Move over Dean, we've got another crooner. Some great singing on this ballad.
28. SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER-- Diana Ross /Supremes #1 One comment was that it was his song in Vietnam and kept him going. He did get back together with his girl. Some of his buddies didn't get back. Another said he tapped a young girl on the shoulder as this played as the last song of the night and they're still together 47 years later. That's Johnny Bristol doing the male singing parts.
27. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM-- Glen Campbell & Bobby Gentry #27 Country and pop go together.
26. DIDN'T I-- Delfonics #10 Love those horns in the beginning. Part of the Philadelphia Sound. Formed in 1965 as the Four Gents.
Name That Tune (from the above songs): ""You Look A Little Naughty, But You're So Polite." Answer below. --RoadDog
"Jam Up and Jelly Tight"
I take these names from the Hope I Die before I get Old site.
JACK SCOTT, 83
Died 12 December 2019
Singer, Rock and Roll/Rockabilly
Canadian/American singer and songwriter.
Inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2011 and called the greatest Canadian rock and roll singer of all time. He had 19 songs hit the Billboard Hot 100, including four Top Tens from 1958 to 1961.
His Top Tens:
My True Love #3
Goodbye Baby #8
What In the World's Come Over You #5
Burning Bridges #3
Well worth giving a listen on You Tube.
Thursday, February 6, 2020
35. KENTUCKY RAIN-- Elvis Presley #16 Written by Eddie Rabbitt and Ronnie Milsap on the piano.
34. BABY TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS-- Jefferson #23 Never heard it before, but a great pop song Jefferson (Geoff Turton) was the lead singer of the English pop group Rockin' Berries. Recorded the original version of "Love grows (Where My Rosemary Grows)" which is also on this week's chart at #36.
33. NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE-- Stevie Wonder #26 Not one of his better-known songs, but a great one nonetheless. A really great Beach Music song. Hear that Surf 94.9 FM!!! "Do, Do, Do Do Do Do,"
32. BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO-- Lenny Welch #34 The definitive slow version of Neil Sedaka's hit song in my opinion, even though Neil Sedaka had a fast version in 1962 and a follow up slow one in 1975. From New Jersey.
31. THE THRILL IS GONE-- B.B. King #15 The first time I'd ever heard of B.B. King. I'm a big Blues fan now. His biggest pop chart song.
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "Seven Lonely Days And A Dozen Towns Ago." Answer below. --RoadDog
I get the WLS charts from Oldies Loon WLS year Surveys.
That's right, fifty years ago.
(D) means debut. The number after the artist is how high the song went ion the national Billboard charts.
40. GOTTA GET BACK TO YOU BABY-- Tommy James / Shondells #45 (D) Buzztones and the psychedelic sound.
39. HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN-- Frijid Pink #7 (D) Now, that's a real heavy psychedelic song. Some more fuzz. Their only Top 40.
38. ONE TIN SOLDIER-- Original Cast #34 (D) (Original Caste) That Billy Jack Make sure to watch the video by these people. Better than the Coven video of the song. The version by Coven became the theme to the 1971 movie "Billy Jack."
37. WHY SHOULD I CRY Gentrys #61 (D) Only 2:14 long. Sounds a bit like "Midnight Confessions." Follow up to "Every Day I Have to Cry" (#77-1966). Of course, their biggest hit was "Keep On Dancing" (#4-1965)
36. LOVE GROWS (WHERE MY ROSEMARY GOES) Edison Lighthouse #5 (D) Their biggest hit. The only other Top 100 was "It's Up to You Petula" (#72-1971) British studio group.
Name That Tune (from the above songs): " 'Bout A Kingdom On A Mountain And The Valley Folks Below." Answer below. --RoadDog
"One Tin Soldier"
Past Movie Scratches-- Movies I saw on TV in 2019
7. HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY-- PART 1, 1-11-- The Revolution begins. Doing the media thing. Torn between two loves.
8. HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY-- PART 2, 1-11-- Poor Pietah. The Game in the Capitol. Katniss keeps waking up in strange hospital beds. That darn cat.
9. SUPER 8-- 1-12-- Junior high students making a movie get more than they bargained for.
10. I AM LEGEND-- 1-12-- Poor Sam, the dog.
11. THE PLANET OF THE APES-- 1-14-- Remake and a very different surprise ending. See what can happen when you're away. "You damned dirty human."
12. X-MEN-- 1-16-- We meet the Mutants. Dr. Xavier, the nice one and Magneti, the bad one. Also, Mystique's outfit.
TAX FACTS: The IRS employs 114,000 people; that's twice as many as the CIA and five times more than the FBI.
Tuesday, February 4, 2020
MOVING IN STEREO-- Cars Ric Ocasek Died September 15
DANGEROUS TYPE-- Cars
TIME HAS COME TODAY-- Chambers Brothers George Chambers
Died October 12, oldest of the brothers.
ROCKIN' INTO THE NIGHT-- .38 Special Larry Junstrom Their first radio hit. Their bassist from start to finish who was originally with Lynyrd Skynyrd. Died October 6.
LITTLE GIRL-- Syndicate of Sound Don Baskin One hit wonder band out of San Jose, Cal., Lead singer and rhythm guitarist died October 22. Almost sang it as a rap song.
UNCLE JON'S BAND-- Grateful Dead Robert Hunter Wasn't in the band, just their lyricist, but what a lyricist. Died September 23.
TOUCH OF GRAY-- Grateful Dead
TIME LOVES A HERO-- Little Feat Paul Barrere Guitarist Died October 26.
I FEEL FREE-- Cream Ginger Baker Died October 6.
SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE-- Cream
Movies that I saw on TV in 2019.
1. CROCODILE DUNDEE, 1-5-- "That's not a knife. This is a KNIFE!!"
2. THE JUNGLE BOOK, 1-5-- Great animation and the Red Flower. How 'bout dat Bear!!
3. THE WIZARD OF OZ, 1-6-- "We're off to see the wizard." "Not no way!! Not No How!!" Those monkeys still give me pause.
4. JURASSIC WORLD, 1-6-- Moral to the story: Don't play with dinosaur DNA.
5. HUNGER GAMES, 1-8-- Capitol City runs roughshod over the districts with that mean old Snow.
6. HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE, 1-10-- If that MC laughs one more time we'll know where to stuff that sock.
TAX FACTS: American taxpayers spend $200 billion and 5.4 billion hours working to comply with federal taxes each year, more than it takes to produce every car, truck and van in the United States.
Sunday, February 2, 2020
Fifty Years Ago in Chicago.
1. THANK YOU-- Sly & Family Stone
2. NO TIME-- Guess Who
3. HEY THERE LONELY GIRL-- Eddie Holman
4. VENUS-- Shocking Blue
5. PSYCHEDELIC SHACK-- Temptations
6. I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN-- Dionne Warwick
7. WITHOUT LOVE-- Tom Jones
8. IF I NEVER KNEW YOUR NAME-- Vic Dana
9. BLOWING AWAY-- Fifth Dimension
10. RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD-- B.J. Thomas
35. ON ME, OH MY-- Lulu
36. NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE-- Stevie Wonder
37. GIVE ME JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME-- Chairmen of the Board
38. BABY TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS-- Jefferson
39. DIDN'T I-- Delfonics
40. ALL I'LL HAVE TO DO IS DREAM-- Glen Campbell / Bobby Gentry
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "On My Way To better Things." Answer below. --RoadDog