Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

JSS: We Need Rain-- Lake Geneva-- Alcatel-Lucent, What a Waste-- Darn Beetles

JSS-- Just Some Stuff.



1. WE NEED RAIN-- Today was another day of threatening storms, but nothing ever materialized. This happens at least twice a week. A perfectly good day of boating blown because of the threat of rain. AND, WE REALLY DO NEED SOME RAIN.

Things are quite dry. Besides watering the trees, bushes and flowers, I've even been watering the septic field. I found out the hard way that the grass doesn't come back easily after an extended drought. It was just now recovering from the dry spell three years ago.

Last night, I fell asleep with the sprinkler on and had to get out at 4 am. That really made my night.


2. LAKE GENEVA-- We drove up to Lake Geneva today and ate at Popeye's (not the cLouisiana chicken place). I had one of their specialties, chicken 'cued on the outside grill. What a great view of the Riviera and Geneva Lake. Gage Marine runs boat tours from the Riviera Docks and use vintage 1900 vessels. It's quite a show.


3. ALCATEL-LUCENT, WHAT A WASTE-- An article in today's Tribune about teh anming of Ben Verwaayen as new CEO after six straight quarters of losses. This guy cut almost 5,000 jobs at his former place and will receive AS MUCH AS $5.2 million a year.

Smells like your standard CEO these days. Wreck people's lives and take an obscene salary and benefits. This is NOT LEADERSHIP.

The two former heads of the company, who managed to lose $7 billion, Patricia Russo and Serge Tchuruk, are leaving and no mention was made of their departure package, but I have to believe it was high.

This really burns me as Lucent was the only stock I ever bought on my own and did I ever blow that one. I put a lot of money into this and lost a lot. But the CEOs made their millions.


DARN BEETLES-- Everyday I continue my campaign against those lousy Japanese beetles with a bucket of soapy water. Everyday, it's a clean sweep with many casualties, but the next day, the varmints are back.

I understand the Japanese are upset about a fish from American waters that is causing problems in their country. I say that paybackis good. If we have to battle their beetles, they should have to fight our fish.


I Really Hate Those Beetles and I'm Not Too Fond of CEOS, Either. --RoadDog

No comments: