Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

News and Observation: Some Birthdays and Anniversaries and Reunions

Some recent birthdays and what-not.

MAY 18th

REGGIE JACKSON, 63-- "Mr. October" Great pre-steroid ballplayer. Used to drive me nuts, though, as he played for those dastardly Yankees. Could he be that old?

GEORGE STRAIT-- 57-- Mr. Country, Mr, No. 1, with over fifty. And, he's one year younger than me!!

TINA FEY, 39-- Really like her on "30 Rock."

PERNELL ROBERTS, 81-- The last surviving of the Cartwright clan. That's Adam to you.

And, 1980, was the eruption of Mt. St. Helens, in Washington state. We went to it back in the nineties, and to use a kids word, it was "awesome" even all those years later. Sure had some great sunsets for awhile after that with all the ash in the atmosphere.


MAY 19th

Pete Townsend, 64-- The Who-- Yesterday, Bob Stroud played what Pete considers to be his best song, "I Can See for Miles" on his One Forty-five at 1:45 bit. Sunday, he featured the top 14 songs of the Who on his Rock and Roll Roots Show on WDRV, the Drive from 7 to 10 AM.


MAY 20th, Today

SUSAN COWSILL, 50-- "She asked my why, why I was a hairy guy?" Good thing she's a girl. her brothers have a hard time of it. I really liked her counterpart on the Partridge family, Susan Dey. My second unrequited love after dear old Annette from the Mouseketeers.

CHER, 63-- She of Sonny and those "provocative outfits." be still my heart. She gave old Tina a run for the money.

JOE COCKER, 65-- Was one of the only performers at both the original and reunion Woodstock. Known for his jerky motions while singing, especially at the original Woodstock. And then, there was the slurring of the words of that "With a Little Help from My Friends." Someone actually sat down and translated them with hilarious photos.

Of course, John Belushi got famous doing his Cocker imitation and taking it to the extreme.

What was he on at the time?

Five years ago, he summed up his 60th birthday, "I'm just a fat bald guy 60 years old, singing the blues, you know." Good summation, Joe.


ON HIGH SCHOOL REUNIONS

Oh, yes, and today I was listening to Georgia Lee and WRLR in Round lake Heights and she mentioned that the Round Lake High School Class of 1979 was looking for classmates for an October reunion. This would have been my first class of seventh graders to graduate high school. (My first group were my ninth graders in '77.)

Then, it reminded me that this year is the FORTIETH!! Class Reunion of my Palatine High School Class of 1969!! "We are great, we are fine. We're the Class of '69!!!"

Can We Be getting That Old? --RoadDog

No comments: