Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Aye, 'Tis a Beach Life for Me-- Part 4

Next, we parked by the old Mack's store by US-421 near the boardwalk area of Carolina Beach.  I was somewhat surprised to see they didn't charge for parking.  Most beaches seem to do that.

It was a short walk past the gazebo where concerts are held Thursdays during the summer to the main boardwalk.  After years of decline, Carolina Beach has certainly turned the corner but still has some spots that are a bit rough.  It still has the old honky tonk feel to it with quite a few beach bars, including my all-time favorite, the Silver Dollar Saloon which first opened in the 50s.

Of course, first target was Britt's Donuts which has been there since the 20s or 30s.  Nothing fancy, just some of the best glazed donuts you'll ever eat.  The long counter and method of making the morsels hasn't changed at all as far back as I remember.  It being a warm day, I felt kind of sorry for the two guys in back making the donuts.

What has changed is the price, which now is 90 cents apiece.  I got six for $5 for the three of us and then did some time travel back to when I was a young boy in the 50s.  As I finished the second one, I saw that the best deal was a dozen for $7.  I was about to ask if we could get six more for the two bucks when my mom beat me to it. 

So, we had doughnuts for tomorrow!!!  The only problem with a Britt's donut is that it is only good when eaten right at the place or within a couple hours.  But that was back in the days before microwaves, so we'll see how that does it. 

The Oven Sure Didn't Work.  --RoadDog

No comments: