Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

One Good Thing About Christmas Being Gone, So Is Christmas Radio

From the Dec. 25, 2012, Chicago Tribune.

Earlier this month, I wrote about the Christmas song collector at Wheaton College and his collection of 8,000 such songs.  I haven't counted, but probably have between 5,000 and 6,000 between LPs, cassettes and CDs.  I especially like the off-the-wall and genre songs.

Anyway, the Tribune article mentions that over the past eleven years, non-stop Christmas music formats have become practically unavoidable on radio.  And, like with the Christmas stuff in stores, it seems to start earlier and earlier each year.  Could a Christmas 4th of July be far off?  Now, I've heard some starting between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

This occurred when radio execs discovered that playing the same 20 or so nostalgic holiday songs led to as much as a 50% increase in listeners.  And that, of course, leads to more advertising money.

We have several such part-time "Christmas" stations here in the Chicago area and when on my yearly NC drives for Thanksgiving, I come across these station much more often as I drive through states.

Well, at least now it is over.

For Awhile Anyway.  --RoadDog

WHAT SHE SAYS AND WHAT SHE MEANS:  I was wrong = Not as wrong as you

No comments: