Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Music Deaths: Waltz-- Mothers-- Shindig!

PATTI PAGE, 85

Died Jan. 1, 2013.  Oklahoma-born pop singer of "Tennessee Waltz" and "That Doggie in the Window" and other 1950s hits.  A soothing counterpart to the rock and roll revolution.

She was born in Claremore, Oklahoma, right on good old Route 66!!  There is a street named after her.  Other notables from the town near Tulsa are Lynn Riggs who wrote "Green grow the Lilacs" which became the musical Oklahoma" and Will Rogers.

She was a bit before my music listening time, but I liked the songs mentioned.


RAY COLLINS, 75

Died Dec. 25, 2012.  Member of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention.  One of my favorite all-time groups and a big thanks to my cousin Joe for turning me on to them back in the late 60s.  Such greats as "Brown Shoes Don't Make It," "Mother People," "Call Any Vegetable," "It Can't Happen Here, ""Hungry Freaks, Daddy," and "America Drinks & Goes Home."

Their Mothermania: The Best of the Mothers of Invention is one of my favorite-ever albums. I'm still looking in the mom and pop record stores for a CD of it.


JIMMY O'NEILL, 73

Died Jan. 11, 2013.  Radio disc jockey and host of ABC's "Shindig!",  a prime-time rock show from 1964-1966 that featured such acts as the Beatles, James Brown and the Rolling Stones.

I don't remember him, but watched that show when the parents weren't (we had just one TV).  Getting to see your favorite bands back then was not easy.  I always thought it would have been great to have the original MTV back then.

The One With the Waggily Tail.  --RoadDog

No comments: