Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Every Blooming THing: Late April 2014


One thing about the early days of yardwork after a long winter layoff, man, am I ever sore. I have been busy with my burn pile last Sunday and today. Lots of dead perennials, leaves and annuals from last year to get rid of. (We can only burn on weekends in April and May.)

I have to be careful of hundreds of what appear to be bees in certain areas of the yard.

Right now, the jonquils are in full bloom and some tulips and hyacinths as well. Also, some other flowers of which I know not the names.

I am planning on going out to cut the grass for the first time. Some of the yard needs it and other parts don't, but I can't let it get ahead of me in the spring as it can really take off, especially with the cool and rainy weather we've been having.

I have been reading quite a few articles about people with winter burn/kill on their plants, especially yews and boxwoods. Most experts say to fertilize and wait to see new growth. They don't want you cutting back or trimming until you know what is still alive.

We Sure Had A Rough Winter --RoadDog

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

I'll take the advice on the yews though my look really pathetic...

RoadDog said...

Strangely, there is more winter kill on the yews on the south side of the house. You'd think it would be worst oin the north because of the lousy polar vortexes.