Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Svengoolie's Night: An Undead Tradition

From the Oct. 25, 2015, Parade Magazine.

Years ago, almost every major city had a goofy costumed character who hosted old monster movies on TV.  Not so many anymore.

But, today, actor Rich Koz, 63, aka "Svengoolie" is keeping the tradition undead.  Koz has been climbing out of his colorfully-painted coffin, putting on his worst Transylvanian accent and dodging flying rubber chickens ever since 1978.  He is probably the "King of Corn" and pushes corny to knew limits.

"When I started, I was thrilled just to have a job.  I never imagined that 36 years later I'd still be putting on all this makeup," he says.  "I think the biggest compliment I get is when people say, "I used to watch you when I was a kid, and now I watch you with my kids."

Airing nationally on MeTV, Saturdays, 10 p.m. ET, 9 p.m. CT.

He has a site as well and visit Parade.com/svengoolie for a full interview.

I looked up his site and tonight he features the 1931 horror classic "Frankenstein" starring Boris Karloff.  I'll be watching or recording depending when we get home from the American Legion Halloween party/karaoke tonight.

I'm thinking of singing "Monster Mash" in my best Transylvanian accent.

Svengoolie is making a personal appearance today several miles down US-12 at the Volo Auto Museum.

Like Corn Me to Death, Sveenie.  --RoadDog

No comments: