Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Happy 50th to the USS North Carolina (BB-55)

It was 50 years ago, October 2, 1961, that the USS North Carolina reached its final berth across the Cape Fear River from Wilmington, NC.

It rightfully claims the name "Showboat.' That is one really smart-looking ship. It was launched just before World War II and served proudly in both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. headed for the scrap heap after the war, it was aved by private donations and the school children of the state who donated their pennies, nickels and dimes.

I have been writing about the ship a lot in my history blog, Cooter's History Thing.

I am a big fan of all the battleships, but especially this one. I built at least two models of it and one was displayed in my classroom for the 33 years I taught.

When we moved to Jacksonville, Florida, the Naval base at Mayport was nearby and our nexr door neighbor served on the aircraft carrier USS Shangri-La. He was able to give us the opportunity to tour the carrier. I liked it, but it was "no battleship."

My brother Bob and I then commenced an on-going argument which lasted for years as to which was better and would win: a battleship or aircraft carrier. If I remember correctly, once it came to blows. Hey, if a battleship caught an aircraft carrier without its planes, it would surely make short work of it. But, with those planes, I kind of doubt it.

I remember our parents, however, gave Bob a print of the NC coming home and I still have a big glass ashtray with the ship on the bottom. Bob's print is now at Mom's place at Topsail Beach.

I Had Almost Forgotten About Our "Argument." --RaodDog

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

An aircraft carrier without planes in a fight? Billy Mitchell put that one to rest. :)
Jerry went to Mayo Clinic for a new work up and was back on the practice field the next day. Now if he can instill some of that toughness into our marshmellow Gophers progress will have been made....

RoadDog said...

OK, aircraft carriers win, but battleships look better.

Considering the success Jerry Kill has had with the Salukis and Huskies, if he can't get the Gophs going, nobody can.

But, if he has any success, it won't be long before he goes to the next level.