Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

When Disco Saved Beach Music-- Part 1

They say, "Video Killed the Radio Star," well, the Buggles anyway. But according to Beach Music maestro John Hook, "Disco Saved Beach Music."

From 'Fessa John Hook's Beach Music Top 40 Countdowns on the Cashbox Magazine website http://www.cashboxmagazine.com/countdowns/beachmusicweekly.html.

I'm listening to his forty songs right now. Good stuff, including some disco songs I've never heard of before.

Say the word "Disco" and you get lots of groans. We even had Disco Demolition here in Chicago which led to a mini-riot at old Comiskey Park and a Sox forfeiture of a game vs. the Tigers.

I think most people just didn't like the "culture" Disco folks tried to build around the music.

However, most people liked and still like the music. Like they said on American Bandstand, "It's got a good beat and is easy to dance to." I give it a ten.

Back when I was deejaying, if I was having a hard time getting people out on the floor, out came a Disco song and nine times out of ten, it worked.

"I Love the Nightlife" by Alicia Bridges playing right now.

I'll Be Listing All Fifty Songs He Played, But Even Better, You Give It a Listen. --RoadDog


UNIVERSAL TRUTH: I "hate" to admit it, but since I've been retired, I sort of forgot how to set an alarm.

No comments: