Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Here's a Senior Idea: A Cruise Instead of A Living Facility


As I fast approach the days of being classified as a senior citizen, I occasionally will pick up a publication for that group of people. I like to look at bus trips and vacation offerings.

I picked up the June Chicagoland's Senior News a while back and just got around to reading it. I found an interesting article about a woman who has come up with a novel and interesting way to provide herself with assisted living.

Columnist Tait Trussell was on a Princess Cruise Line boat, and saw an elderly lady whom the staff all seemed to know very well. He asked the waiter about her and found that she had been on the last four cruises back-to-back.

He had a chance to meet her and asked why she spent so much time on the boat. She replied right away saying this was far cheaper than a nursing home or assisted living.

She continued: As long as I'm not too old and feeble, I'm going to be riding cruise ships. The annual cost of the living facility I checked out would have cost me $73,000 a year. I have checked the long-term cruise reservations and senior discount, and can pay only $135 a day for an inside cabin. That's a little over $49,000 for a year of cruises."

Sounds like she's on to a great idea and I will definitely keep this under consideration.

Last summer, my mom was nice enough to treat the family to a trip on board a Princess ship. This was my first time on a cruise and I have never been treated so well and had so much great food. Plus, there is all the great entertainment, activities, and shore excusions.

Let's See, cruising on a boat, or stuck in a nursing home. HHhhhhmmmmnnn.

Having a Senior Moment. --RoadDog

No comments: