Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

So, How About Illinois' New No-Smoking Law?


I've been awaiting Illinois' No Smoking in bars and restaurants ever since we learned of it back last summer.

Now, I have to admit that I was a former smoker, but quit on my own about 27 years ago. Every year that goes by, I become less and less tolerant of cigarette smoke. Pipes and many cigars don't bother me for some reason.

Liz is a chain smoker, and when we go out, it doesn't matter where I sit, her smoke seeks me out. I can even move, and it will change direction to get at me.

One of my main NTN sites is Hello Folks in Fox Lake. Unfortunately, most of the patrons are chain smokers and that coupled with low ceilings makes for a miserable haze most times.

I went there on New Year's Day to see what effect it had. The place was packed as usual. There were no ashtrays out and no smoking signs all over. The doors opened quite often however, as people bundled up to go out into the cold to have their smoke. They had to be 15 feet away from the door however. Hopefully places will be able to build shelters of some sort for these poor people.

One guy came in and lit up. He was immediately reminded and said he'd forgotten and put it out. He stayed for drinks. Another guy came in puffing, and when told, turned around and left. One guy put a cigarette in his mouth to flaunt the law, but didn't light up.

You could see how yellow the ceilings were, and Bobby, the owner, has hired good buddy and fellow NTN player Ken to clean and paint them.

Since we're near the Wisconsin border, I'm sure lots of Illinoisans will be going to the Dairy State to smoke at bars.

No More Coughin' for Me While Playing NTN and Drinking.   --RoadDog

2 comments:

Daddy Bob said...

Well what does Liz think about the new law???
Sounds like IL is a Smoke Nazi state. You know Hitler tried to completly eliminate any kind of smoking in Germany and everywhere else they took over. HItler, thought he was so superior to Stalin (sp?) and Roosevelt as they were both smokers and he wasn't.
What about that???

RoadDog said...

The key here is getting other people's smoke in your face. I don't mind if they smoke, but do object when I have to breathe in their smoke as well.

It is too bad other smokers can't be like you and only smoke outside.