Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Where Were You June 7, 1969? --Part 5

Continuing. Again, the first quote id Bob Stroud's. In parentheses () is mine.

THE BOXER-- SIMON & GARFUNKEL-- It was only a 45 and would eventually be on the "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album in early 1970. (My second favorite S&G song, after "Cecillia." That "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is one of my all-time favorite albums.)

CRYSTAL BLUE PERSUASION-- TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS-- Brand new, the follow-up to "Sweet Cherry Wine." (If I heard this song once that summer, I heard it a thousand times. The stations really played this one to death. I still cringe a little. "Hey Jude" anybody?)

BLACK PEARL-- SONNY CHARLES & THE CHECKMATES LTD.-- One of my favorite 45s from that era.One of the last 60s songs Phil Specter produced. (Great slow-dancing soul)
MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY-- SPIRAL STAIRCASE-- (I always miss this one on Name That Tune.)

CARE OF CELL 44-- ZOMBIES-- from an album entitled "Odyssey and Oracle recorded in late 1967, but didn't hit these shores until 1969 on the strength of "Time of the Season" on the radio. You thought 'There's got to be more great stuff where that came from and you bought "Odyssey and Oracle."' Every song a killer including this lead off selection about a dude writing his girlfriend who is in jail and all the fun they would have when she got out. (Never heard of it before, but wasn't all that impressed.)

COMMUNICATIONS BREAKDOWN-- LED ZEPPELIN-- I'm working from a list of about 30 albums that were released from the start of the year to June 1st. It is an incredible list of albums (notice, not downloads or CDs). I must have gone broke as a kid buying all those records, as I think I bought each and every one them, including this one that I first heard at a buddy's house.

The new British group called Led Zeppelin released the album in February, 1968. It was their debut album and they released their self-titled second one later that year.
(Talk about your early Heavy Metal!!!)

Need Another Break. --RoadDog

No comments: