Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, July 12, 2021

WLS Top 30 for Week of July 12, 1971-- Part 1: 'Moon Shadow'

These were the songs on the WLS, 890 AM radio that the youth in Chicago were listening to exactly fifty years ago.  Let's see, fifty years ago, I guess they aren't so youthful anymore.*  means the song was climbing the charts.  The number after the artist is how high the song got on the Billboard National Hot 100 Charts.

ALL HIT BOUND

*SWEET HITCH-HIKER--  Creedence Clearwater Revival    #6    Is this Classic Rock or What?  Their last Top Ten hit.

*SIGNS--  Five Man Electrical Band     #3    (I once tried to sing this at karaoke with a very poor performance.  In my defense, I practiced it in my head and thought I could do it.  I couldn't.)  Their only Top Ten.  From Ontario, Canada.

***********************

30.  BRING THE BOYS HOME--  Freda Payne      #12      A very appropriate song at this time.  Her second biggest hit.

29.  IF NOT FOR YOU--  Olivia Newton-John       #25     Her first hit.   (Between her and Linda Ronstadt, wow, I just don't know which I had a bigger crush on back then.)

28.  DOUBLE BARREL--  Dave and Ansil Collins      #22      A song like nothing else back then.  Jamaican duo.

27.  *LOVE MEANS--  Sounds of Sunshine    #39   Full title "Love Means (You Never Have to Say You're Sorry)"  Never heard it before.   Right up there with that ultra-syrupy "Honey" in my book.  Not too fond of this.

26.  *MOON SHADOW--  Cat Stevens     #30       Follow up to "Wild World"  (#11-1971)     Whenever I peer out the window at night with the moon out and see those trees casting shadows, I think of this song.

Name That Tune (from the above songs):  "Fathers Are Pleading,  Lovers Are All Alone,  Mothers Are Praying."  Answer below.  --RoadDog


"Bring the Boys Home"


No comments: