Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Time Warp: January 11, 1972

Bob Stroud went back 37 years this past Sunday to January 11, 1972 and the same date 1977.

Thirty-seven years ago!! Has it been that long?

Back on that date, I was a junior at the University of Georgia and trying to get a Delta Sigma Phi chapter started on campus. I had pledged Sigma Phi Epsilon in the fall, but just had to try to get the old Delta Sigs started. I understand, there now is a chapter there. I did get a few friends together and had a local called Sigma Tau Epsilon

I was now living at a new dorm as I had expected to transfer back to Northern Illinois, but that had fallen through. My roommate turned out to be the son of the state's governor. His name was Jeff C and his father was one Jimmy Carter. I got to meet him at the governor's mansion in Atlanta.

My hair was starting to grow out after being pretty-well scalped at Quantico, Virginia, during my six week stay there in the USMC OCS.

These songs sure brought back some memories. Stroud's comments follow. Mine are in parentheses. ()

LOOKING FOR A LOVE-- J. GEILS BAND-- from their second album, basically our introduction to this great band out of Boston who would be with us for the next decade and after. (Became a major favorite for me after their "Centerfold" album.)
NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN-- THREE DOG NIGHT-- brand new and hit bound. Their previous song, "Old-Fashioned Love Song" was just dropping off the charts. (Great Blue-Eyed Soul from these guys.)
WHITE LIES, BLUE EYES-- BULLET--brand new band from England, their one and only hit. (Still one of my favorites.)

SCORPIO-- DENNIS COFFEY-- What's your sign? Instrumental by Detroit session guitarist.
RESPECT YOURSELF-- STAPLE SINGERS-- Take a step back and respect yourself, from Chicago. (Music with a BIG message. I'm surprised they weren't invited to play at Obama's inauguration.)
ANTICIPATION-- CARLY SIMON-- her second hit, the first was in 1971. (It's "Slow Good." Always reminds me of that ketchup (or is it catsup?) commercial.)

More to Come. --RoadDog

Cop Comment: "If you take your hands off the car, I'll make your birth certificate a worthless document."

No comments: