Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Blackhawks Parade and Rally-- Part 10: It's a Kissing Thing


Without a doubt, the Stanley Cup has to be the ugliest championship trophy in all the professinal leagues. Usually the bowl part of the trophy is the largest, but not on this one, which makes it stand out all the more. 

And, another player tradition is to hoist it into the the air, lower it to the face and kiss it. Can you imagine the germs?

But, then again, while I was at the Indy 500 at the end of May, I noticed many folks getting down on their knees to kiss the bricks that extend into the infield area from the track which marks the beginning and finish line of the race.  I understand racers kiss it as well.

I did wonder what was on the bottom of the Stanley Cup trophy and saw that there is a piece of plastic down there, indented in enough so that there is a place to put the finger grasp for the hoisters. I imagine I'd kiss it if I got the chance, undeserving as I am.

--RoadDog

No comments: