Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, October 1, 2017

A Football Kind of Weekend-- Part 2: A Homecoming Parade, Historical Society Meeting and Civil War Re-Enactment


SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 16

I drove over to the Grant High School (Fox Lake) homecoming parade.  I love a parade, and this one had two marching bands and a Class of 1967 float, just two years ahead of me.

Then I went to the Fox Lake/Grant Township Area Historical Society meeting at the Grant Hall Museum in Ingleside where we learned about the huge commercial fishing operations for carp that took place at one time in the Chain of Lakes.

Next stop was in Hainesville where they were having their Second Annual Civil War Re=Enactment.  I got to talk with our Sons of Confederates affiliates in a Tennessee group, my old friend Bob Dawson who was portraying Elijah Haines, who is the founder of Hainesville as well as interesting talks by U.S. Grant and Jefferson Davis.

Stopped at Taco Bell in Fox Lake on the way home for their excellent Baja fish taco (99 cents) and spicy tostada ($1) and free senior drink.  A real hard deal to beat.

Parades, History, Civil War.  I Can Live With That.  --RoadDog



No comments: