Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Going Back to the Summer of '79-- Part 9: "Is She Really Going Out With Him"


Theses were the songs on the radio and in your record collections forty years ago on August 4, 1979.  Bob Stroud does this four times during each summer and has been doing this since 2007, when he went back to the Summer of Love, 1967.  This is something I really look forward to every summer.

I have most of the shows recorded since 2007, including this year.

This is on Bob Stroud's Rock and Roll Roots show, every Sunday on Chicago's WDRV, 97.1 FM, the Drive from 7 to 10 a.m. Central Time.  And it streams at www.wdrv.com.  Since this show only covers the years from the 1960s and 1970s, I don't know what will happen next year when 40 years ago is 1980.  Fifty years ago would be 1970.

Of course, I would like him to start with sixty years ago, 1960.

CRUEL TO BE KIND--  Nick Lowe
SHINE A LITTLE LOVE--  ELO
IS SHE REALLY GOING OUT WITH HIM--  Joe Jackson   We had a good time with this song out on the deck of Choppers yesterday when Jon Polit had this as an audience participation song where we had to yell "Where" whenever he sang here or there.

CHUCK E'S IN LOVE--  Rickie Lee Jones
HEART OF THE NIGHT--  Poco
HIGHWAY TO HELL--  AC/DC

LAY IT ON THE LINE--  Triumph  My buddy Coz used to love to catch me on this song and Rainbow's "Since You've Been Gone" when he'd pose a Name That Tune to me and play it on the jukebox.  He did it so often I would immediately call out Triumps and Rainbow when he'd do it.
COOL CHANGE--  Little River Band

RENEGADE--  Styx
MY SHARONA--  Knack

And, there will be one more of these Summer of '79 shows on September 1.  Give it a listen.

Name That Tune (from the above songs):  ""Hoo, My Little Pretty One, My Pretty One."  Answer below  --RoadDog


"My Sharona"


No comments: