Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Back to Summer 1970, Fifty Years Ago-- Part 1: Setting the Stage


Bob Stroud has been doing four three-hour shows Root Saluting Summers from 40 Years Ago, starting with 1967 on his Rock and Roll Roots show on Chicago's WDRV, 97.1 FM, the Drive.  .  Last year it was the Summer of 1979.  At that point there was a problem, as his show covers music from the 60s and 70s.  And, this summer from forty years ago would be 1980.  I was wondering what Bob would do.

I was definitely hoping he wouldn't drop the summer shows.  I kind of build my summer's around being home so I can listen to the shows (and record them on my cassette tapes).

I was happy to find out that he was going back to fifty years ago, 1970.

He will be doing a new show about the Summer of 1970 the first Sunday of each month June, July, August and September.  The show first airs from 9 to noon CDST and then a repeat from 9 to midnight.  www.wdrv.com

Anyway, here are the songs he played on June 7.  These are songs on the radio and in your record collection (no downloads) for June 7, 1970.

I was home from college, Northern Illinois University, after completing my freshman year.  However, I had to take a summer school course at Harper College because I wasn't sure if I had passed a geography final and that might have made me short hours needed to stay in college.  And, with a draft lottery number 22, that meant I might end up overseas, if you know what I mean.

I went back to my high school job working at the Burger King in Palatine.

Going Back 50 Years.  --RoadOldie

THOSE CRAZY COUNTRY SONGS:  Flushed From the Bathroom of Your Heart"



No comments: