Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Welcome Summer 2020, One Long and Strange Trip We'll Have, It Won't Be Normal to Say the Least. Flashback to 1968 on WXRT Today


Summer officially arrived here last Saturday, and, believe me, has been long anticipated.  Between this virus thing and the Blacks wanting to tear down every Confederate statue and memorial, these have been some rough times with me.  And, I'm not sure which is worse in those departments.

Last night, Liz and I met Kevin and Kelly at Sunnyside Tavern in Johnsburg, Illinois, and WENT INSIDE!!!  This is the first time we've been inside for cocktails since March 16, when we were inside Sunnyside the last day it was open before virus closure.

We then started going to Sunnyside when they reopened for outside service on May 29.  And, we've been going back most every weekend when they're open from Friday to Sunday.   Good to see old friends whom we hadn't seen since March.

*********************************

This past Sunday, Bob Stroud had a heaping helping of Summer Songs on his Rock and Roll Roots show on Chicago's WDRV, 97.1 FM, the Drive.  I felt obliged to listen to it, because it ain't summer till that Bob plays that music.

Gets you into the  mood, you know.  I'll be listing those sand and water and concert songs in the next post.

*********************************

But, in the meantime, reminding everyone that in an hour, Chicago's WXRT, 93.1 FM, will be going back to 1968 on their Saturday Morning Flashback show from 9 am to noon, CDST.  It streams at www.wxrt.com.

So, if 1968 songs are your bag, this is where you want to be.  This was a high school year for me, junior-senior year.  Some great songs on the Senior Lounge jukebox at Palatine High School in Palatine, Illinois.  (Class of '69 and NOW, I am 69.)

*********************************

WXRT is now playing a great Grateful Dead, well, Jerry Garcia, song  "The Wheel."  I don't know how a group that had such great studio albums could be so bad in concert.  The worst concert I ever went to was a Grateful Dead concert back in the 80s with a buddy who is a Deadhead.  But, then again, I really hate jamming, especially excessive jamming.  (I'm more of a Parrothead.)

But their studio albums were works of art.

*********************************

Loving That Music--  RoadSong

THAT CRA-ZEE COUNTRY MUSIC:  "She Got the Ring, I Got the Finger."



No comments: