Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Back to the Summer of 1970 (July 5, 1970)-- Part 5: A Busy Summer for Me


From Bob Stroud's Root Salute to the Summer of 1970, part 2 that aired Sunday, July 5 on Chicago's WDRV, 97.1 FM, the Drive.  He will have two other Summer of 1970 shows the first Sunday of August and September.

And, just remember, there was no such a thing as the coronavirus back then so no social distancing or masks except at the masquerade parties.

These were the songs we were listening to on the radio (mostly AM) and were in our record collections (mostly albums and 45s) back fifty years ago.

At this time, fifty years ago, I was working my summer job at Burger King in Palatine (it was also my first job starting the summer between sophomore and junior year in high school) after having finished freshman year at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb.  I was also taking a class at Harper College in Palatine that summer as I wasn't sure I had passed a geography class at NIU and needed those credits to avoid getting drafted to go you-know-where in 1970.  I sure had a good time the second half of freshman year pledging Delta Sigma Phi fraternity.

Sadly, my dad had gotten transferred from the home office of Quaker Oats in Chicago to the Southern region office in Atlanta, so my family bought a house in Dunwoody, Ga. and sold the one I had lived in longer than any other home in my life, all the way from 7th grade to freshman year in college.

I would be going back to NIU, however, for my sophomore year while my family lived in Georgia.

The songs Bob was playing sure brought the memories flooding back to me.

Let the Music Play, Next.  --RoadDog

No comments: