Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Every Blooming THing, Late July: RoadDog's Achin' Acre


I always feel my flowers are at their height of color here at the end of July when four major flower groups start blooming.

Right now, some 300 black-eyed Susans, 200 purple coneflowers, 200 tall phlox and 150 daylilies are blooming.  Those figures, of course, are estimates, but probably close.  I have done a real lot of transplanting.  Plus, my hostas are blooming their blue spikes and I probably have 150 of then as well.

I am still trimming bushes (and I really planted too many of them) and also weeding, pulling up and cutting down spent flowers and keeping up with the grass and all that is really keeping me busy when it is not too hot  and humid outside.  We are one of the highest spots in the state of Illinois and usually get a whole lot of breeze, but not so much lately.  Plus, our temps have been running in the 90s for much of the last three weeks.

This has all cut down on my working outside.  Who'd have known that when you get older, yardwork is so much harder?

Plus, I just read that growing a lot of corn raises the humidity.  And, we are surrounded by farmland with mostly corn being grown on it.

Thinking of changing the name of my yard to RoadDog's Achin' Acre.

Ohh, My Aching Back.  --RoadSore


No comments: