Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, May 7, 2021

About That Almost Perfect Game I Saw Back in '83-- Part 5: Blew My Top

Sad to say, but, BUT, this would have only been the ninth perfect game in Major League Baseball.  That is pretty impressive after all those years and all those games.  But NO, I didn't get to see a perfect game.  I would have been more than happy to "settle" for a no-hitter.  But, alas, poor me, I didn't even get that.  I only has a one-hitter.

BECAUSE, the next guy up grounded out to first base.

End of game.

And, the Sox ended up losing 6-0 anyway.

Now, I've seen a lot of White Sox games in my time and definitely have seen them lose a lot of times.  One more loss, no big deal.  But, this one hurt.

I was furious.  I was angry.  I was mad.

But, when Jerry Hairston hit that single, two White Sox fans behind me jumped up and started high-fiving and cheering and what-not.  I saw red, jumped turn around and started jawing loudly and unpleasantly with them.  They looked shocked.

"I'm yelling, "You idiots, you fools.  Don't you know what just happened?"

"Yeah!" they replied.  "The White Sox got a hit."

"Did you know there have only been a few perfect games in the history of MLB and you were about to see one?" I yelled.

Thankfully they shut up and sat down because if they had continued I think I would have gotten into my  first-ever fight at a baseball game.

To read the whole story, go to labels and click on perfect game.

Still Steams Me To Think About It.  --RoadStillMadAfterAllTheseYears


No comments: