Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

15th Anniversary of NIU Valentine's Day Murders

Yesterday marked the 15th anniversary since the five students were murdered and a whole bunch wounded on campus of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb.  It took place on Valentine's Day.  A murderer entered Cole Hall and opened fire.

I must admit it had slipped my mind until I saw a couple TV news segments on it.  One was about a student who was wounded and the other was about the professor who was teaching the class in geography (which was my minor) who was also wounded.

I was glad that neither show mentioned the killer's name.  I don't think the killers should ever have their name publicized.  Just refer to them as the killer or murderer.

Liz and I were eating dinner at K.C.'s Cabin in Spring Grove, Illinois, when we saw video on TV of what looked like NIU's campus.  The sound was off,  but the information was running across the bottom.  We were shocked and paying attention.  Our friend Gayle was a student there and another couple at K.C.'s was very concerned as their daughter went to Northern.

A sad time then and just this past Monday night three more students were killed at Michigan State.  At least this killer (and I notice they don't give his name most of the time) had the decency to, like NIU's killer, end his own life.


No comments: