Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

The Civil War, Some Hot Dogs, CDs and a Big Snow

SATURDAY, JANUARY 29

Drove to Crystal Lake, Illinois, for the McHenry County Civil War Round Table discussion meeting at Panera Bread.  Today's topic was the "The End, February and March 1865."  I, of course, brought up the Wilmington Campaign, also called the Battle of Wilmington, in North Carolina.  That was the follow-up to Fort Fisher's fall. 

It started snowing about half way through the meeting and coming down quite hard.  I decided not to go to Algonquin and visit Barnes & Noble or Half-Price Books because of it. Driving home, road conditions were getting quite bad.  

Stopped at Happy Jack's in McHenry for their great hot dogs and then The Vinyl Frontier Record Store, a real Mom and Pop store featuring albims, 45s and CDs as well as toys and stereo equipment.  One of my most fun places to go.

Snow conditions continued to get worse and I went home and stayed.  We had our biggest snowfall of the winter with around 8 inches by Sunday morning.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 29

Way too much snow to shovel by hand, and sadly, stoll couldn't get the snowblower started.  Later, I heard a snowblower out in front of the house and saw that a new neighbor was clearing my driveway and sidewalk for me.  I tanked him and said I couldn't start my snowblower so he took it home to take a look at it.  What a great neighbor.

Later I drove to Sunnyside and actually got a seat at the bar, something very difficult to do in Sundays when it gets reallycrowded.  Watched the NFC Championship game and part of the AFC one.  Came home and watched the rest of it.

--RoadSnow


No comments: