Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What Were You Doing March 8, 1967? --Part 3

One thing about those short songs from the 60s, you can pack a lot of them into an hour and a half.

PENNY LANE-- BEATLES-- The "A" side 42 years ago
STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER-- BEATLES-- the "B" side

UPS AND DOWNS-- PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS-- the current 45 (One of my favorites by one of my favorite "uniform" bands. Remember New Colony Six and Gary Puckett & the Union Gap.)
SO YOU WANT TO BE A ROCK 'N ROLL STAR-- BYRDS-- (Twang Those Guitars. I have to look them up anytime I try to spell their name. Was it BR or BY birds?)

BERNADETTE-- FOUR TOPS-- brand new on your radio. (The late-great Levi Stubbs.)
THE DIS - ADVANTAGES OF YOU-- BRASS RING-- a hit single, but most of you remember it as the Benson & Hedges cigarette song. (And the Winston guy just recently died of.... Personally, I don't remember it.)

HAPPY TOGETHER-- TURTLES-- wasn't number one yet, but on its way. (I am a BIG Flo and Eddie fan.)
THE HUNTER GETS CAPTURED BY THE GAME-- MARVELETTES-- One of Smokey Robinson's most creative compositions both lyrically and musically. (Definitely a different sound.)

And, the Number 1 Song:

I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW-- TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS-- their fourth consecutive hit and one of their biggest. (Never could figure what they were going to do when they were alone.)

I Remember, I Remember. --RoadDog

No comments: