Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

JSS: Dadburn Japanese Beetles-- Got the Boat-- 965th Post-- Summer's Here, Sort Of

JSS-- Just Some Stuff


1. DADBURN JAPANESE BEETLES-- Yesterday, I espied something I always hate to see, the first Japanese beetle of the year. I REALLY hate those guys who regard my yard as their personal smorgasbord. Must have been a scouting party for the hordes to follow. War has begun. One dead Japanese beetle.


2. GOT THE BOAT-- It's about time, but I went to Hebron, Illinois, to pick up "School's Out...FOREVER," our boat. Would have liked to get it on the water earlier, but this was a very cool spring and I was gone most of last month. No use giving the dadburn zebra mussels more of a chance at the hull.

I sure would like to thank the Chain of Lakes Waterway Commission for not alerting us of their presence last year. Our water intake was half way clogged with them and we could have lost the engine. Way to earn your money!!!

3. 965TH POST-- This is my 965th post since starting the Down Da Road I Go blog back in 2007. The 1000 milestone is close ahead.

4. SUMMER'S HERE, SORT OF-- This past Sunday, after flying in from Raleigh-Durham Airport and cutting the grass, Liz and I did some barhopping. After all, it's the summer on the Chain and the time is right for partying on the water.

We went to four places along Grasslake Road, three on the water. Captain's Quarters had the Michael Lescher Band playing, one of our favorites, but the place was too crowded so we left.

Went to the new Southern Star (the old Harbour Lounge) and had a cocktail out by the gazebo overlooking Bluff Lake. Then went to Steitz's, also on Bluff Lake. Sat outside on their deck high above the lake and had another drink. Because of the rain, the Chain is no wake and watched one guy going very fast and were wondering where the boat police were, and then the lights came on and they spent a lot of time with the guy.

Last stop was Dry Dock, the old Kokomo and Fringe Benefits before that.

I Reckon Summer is Here Now. --RoadDog

No comments: