Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Where Were You July 5, 1969? --Part 2

Continuing with the memories.


LODI-- CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL-- "B" side of "Bad Moon Rising," a killer. (My old fraternity song from 1970-1973, only we had different wods and called it the "Buffalo Song." It involved some very off-key singing and drinking beer. I wonder where those Delta Sigs are these days?)
EVERYDAY WITH YOU GIRL-- CLASSICS IV-- latest (How sweet.)

TONIGHT I'LL BE STAYING HERE WITH YOU-- BOB DYLAN-- from new album of a couple months now, "Nashville Skyline." (I wonder how much of the album was influenced by the Band? My all-time favorite Dylan album. Great duet with Johnny Cash.)

SPINNING WHEEL-- BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS--latest from their second album. "Spinning Wheel" at #14 on the WCFL Survey. I know this because I have this big, heavy mother of a book called "WCFL Surveys 1965 to 1976" that was just published a few months ago by John Selaric, a local kid made good. A big WCFL freak like myself and so many of us who grew up in and around the Chicagoland area.

John has done exhaustive research and reprinted every single solitary WCFL survey from 1965 to 1976, so if you're kind of geeky and nerdy like me and love to look at old radio station surveys and especially one as legendary as WCFL, this is the book for you. Go to wcflbook.com website to find out where it's available. (I guess I'm a geek and nerd, then. Nothing finer than being in an old record store and talking music with like-minded folk.)

MORE AND MORE-- BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS-- I know that by looking at the survey that WCFL also played the "B" side and I'll play it for you now. (I liked both songs equally well. More blue-eyed soul from David Clayton and boys.)

I'VE BEEN HURT-- BILL DEAL & THE RHONDELLS-- Good year for them. Charted three times. (Hey, some of that good old Beach Music from Virginia. And I'm not talking Beach Boys either. Good old shagging kind of music like they used to play at OD. Uncle Billy, the old BS-er (Billy Smith on the Surf 94.9 FM from Myrtle Beach) would be so proud.)

I Sure Didn't Know I Was a Nerd, But If Liking Old Music Makes You a Nerd, I Embrace My Nerddom. --RoadDog

No comments: