Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, August 17, 2009

National Vinyl Record Day-- Part 2

I had an entry this past Wednesday, August 12th, about a day in honor of the 33 rpm, long playing albums I grew up with, but most rank just ahead of those old 8-tracks.

I miss my old record stores more than I miss the LPs. I actually like the CDs a lot better than the old albums for many reasons other than the higher cost of them. Now, unfortunately, CDs are on their way out as well.

What I really miss are the old Mom and Pop record stores. I could spend hours in those places talking records with the owners, workers, and like-minded customers. Unfortunately, they are also a dying breed.

In the past three years, I've lost Full Cyrkle Records in Crystal Lake, Illinois; The Record Rack in Goldsboro, NC; and just recently, Record Revolution in Dekalb, Illinois.


ALL IS NOT LOST, THOUGH

Several months ago, however, I came across Half-Price Books in Palatine, Illinois, which, although a Chain, might as well be a mom and pop store. They not only have CDs (both new and used), but also cassette tapes and LPs.

Then, even better, while boating down to McHenry, Illinois, last Wednesday (National Vinyl Record Day, I found another mom and pop record store, but haven't checked it out as of yet.

Lose Some, Get Some Back. --RoadDog

No comments: