Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Good Times in the Area: Retro Night and a Mom and Pop Record Store

THURSDAY was boating and a real retro night afterwards, starting with dinner at Dog N' Suds complete with charcoburgers, root beer in frosted mugs and later a 50s-60s band in Antioch along with a classic car show capped off with a sundae at McDonald's.

Hard to get more retro than that unless we went over to the local drive-in theater.

You can read about it at RoadDog's Roadlog: http://roaddogsroadlog.blogspot.com.


FRIDAY was pal Pete coming over to do some much-needed electrical work. Then, a trip to Culver's for lunch, and a visit to the Vinyl Frontier in McHenry, one of the last local mom and pop record stores.

Spent a lot of time looking for CDs and talking with the owner. I didn't know the Ramones got their name from the fake name Paul McCartney used in his early days, Paul Ramone. Plus, the owner showed my why analog is better than digital.

That is something I like about going to record stores that there is no way you're going to get it downloading. I feel sort of sorry for kids who will never get this opportunity.

I bought three CDs: Rock is Dead but It Won't Lie Down; RamonesMania and The Rolling Stones Singles Collection* the London Years.

"Rock is Dead" has 24 tracks including some that are somewhat rare like"I Hear You Knocking" by Smiley Lewis, "Buddy's Song" by Bobby Vee, "Bad to Me" by Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas, "Tell 'Em I'm Surfing" by the Fantastic Baggys, "Time is On My Side" by Irma Thomas (before the Rolling Stones had it), "I'm a Happy Man" by the Jive Five and "Cast Off All My Fears" by Hour Glass (an early Duane Allman group). Definitely some good stuff.

The Other Two CDs Next Along with the Rest of Friday. --RoadDog


DIDJA HEAR? When you dream in color, it's a pigment of your imagination.

No comments: