Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Poor Little Bird

Yesterday, while sitting out on the front porch having my coffee and reading the newspaper, I was startled by a lot of fluttering and out of the corner of my eye saw two birds, apparently chasing each other, flying full speed toward the bay window.

Then, there was a thud and a plop. One bird flew away immediately, but the other evidently took the full force of the impact and was just lying there on its back on the concrete looking surprised and breathing heavily.

It was a robin, but evidently young as it still had its mottled feathers on its breast. I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of "our" four babies as they have been out of the nest quite awhile now and should have lost those feathers like that. At least I hope so.

I walked over and used a section of the paper to gently turn it over on its front, but it kept tipping part way over again. I finally got it somewhat situated on its front, but could tell I was scaring it, so went inside.

Every so often I would peek out the window to see how it was doing and to make sure no neighborhood cats were lurking about.

The first time I looked, the robin was standing up, but when it moved, one of its legs seemed paralyzed. The second time, it was standing up fully and the foot seemed better. However, it couldn't fly as it attempted to do so.

The last time I looked, it was still there and looking better. It hopped off the front porch and under a bush. Later, I went out and looked around the bushes and flowers, but didn't see it so, here's hoping it recovered.

We have birds fly into our windows quite often, unfortunately. But what can you do?

Here's Hoping. --RoadDog


DIDJA HEAR? When two egotists meet, it's an I for an I.

No comments: