Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Going Back to 1973-- Part 1: A Pivotal Year for Me


The weekend of June 1st to June 2nd featured seven hours worth of a major trip back music to what probably was the most pivotal year of my life, 1973.  And, there was even 50 minutes more of the music on May 30th.  And, I'll sure be listing those songs.

To start with, I graduated from college at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb...AND, didn't get drafted to go to Vietnam.  I thought that war would never ever end.  It had started when I entered junior high, continued all the way through high school and then, almost all the way through college.  Making things even better, my draft lottery number was 22, which meant I was going.

I had just recently done my student teaching at Maine West High School in Des Plaines, Illinois, and was looking for a teaching job.  While waiting for the job, I was driving a van back and forth from O'Hare Airport for the Sheraton Inn-Walden Hotel in Schaumburg.

I'd finally given up on the teaching job and had a career job working at Bonanza Sirloin Pit in Buffalo Grove as an assistant manager and was in line to get my own store. 

However, a teaching position opened up in Round Lake, Illinois, one week before class started, and I took it (thanks to some "pressure" from my soon-to-be mother-in-law, Frances.

Job and Married Next.  --RoadDog


No comments: