Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Going Back to 1973-- Part 2: Signed A Contract and Got Married


I went in and signed my teaching contract on Friday, August 24th and then  hurried back home to the apartment in Des Plaines (first apartment and place that I "owned."  We had just signed the contract for it in July and moved in August 1st.  Well, I did, Liz still stayed at her parents' house in Palatine.

I should mention that in June, I traded the 1963 Rambler station wagon (that my parents had given me) in for a brand new Ford Pinto that I was quite proud of.  I believe it cost $2200, a whole lot of money for me back then.

I ended up teaching in the Round Lake School District for all 33 years of teaching (31 at the same building).  I guess you'd call that longevity.

The reason I hurried back from signing my teaching contract was that I had the rehearsal dinner that night at Algauers.  That's right, I was getting married the next day.  If there ever was a pivotal two days in my life, August 24-25 would be them.

We got married at the Newman Center in DeKalb (NIU) and had the reception at the Holiday Inn on Lincoln Highway (now Best Western).  The honeymoon was in Galena, but cut short as I had to start teaching on Tuesday.

Pretty Busy Time.  --RoadDog



THE LAST TOO PUNNY:  If you jumped off a bridge in Paris, you'd be in Seine.

No comments: