Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Listening to the WLS Songs from July 9, 1965

As I mentioned, when I do the Top 40, there are always some songs I either never heard or had forgotten.  This calls for a very careful listen to You Tube (I don't want to end up spending several hours in those oldies.  That mean old "You might like to hear" off to the side gets me way too often.).

I also used my Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1993 book to see what the top national rank was.

40.  DOWN IN THE BOONDOCKS--  Billy Joe Royal.  OK, I heard this one, but it is a song that always reminds me of the trip my parents gave me for graduating 8th grade back in 1965.  I was big into fishing and they paid for me to go on a fishing trip in Canada.  This song played over and over on the way there and back and has become hooked in my memory to it.

It was playing in the diner where I bought my first meal by myself.  The trip was either in July or early August.  The other song that brings back memories of that trip was the one used in the movie "Groundhog Day," "Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe."  I see that hit #1 in Chicago on WLS on August 13, 1965, the first song to knock the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction" from #1 where it had been since July 9th.

Anyway, "Down in the Boondocks" brought back the memories and hit #9 nationally.  This was its first appearance on the WLS charts.

"Lord Have Mercy on a Boy From...."  --RoadDog


ANSWER THIS:  Can you cry under water?



No comments: