Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Some Thoughts On the Summer of 1972

A big thanks to Bob Stroud for taking me back yesterday to a great time I had 40 years ago, the Summer of '72.  It was a time before these sky-high property taxes and when you could actually afford to drive places, both with the price of cars and PRICE OF GASOLINE these days.

Two songs resonated greatly with me that were playing on the radio 40 years ago.

The first was "School's Out" by Alice Cooper.  I was just getting ready for my senior year which would be all education classes and student teaching.  After the following summer, I started teaching and did that for 33 years.  I have now been retired for six school years; getting ready to start my seventh in a few weeks.

And, I tell you, these last six years have sure flown by.

Now, "School's Out...Forever" is the name of our boat.  Kind of fitting since Liz and I were both teachers.  Liz came up with the name when we were trying to think of a name for out second boat.  When she said that, there was no further discussion.  That was perfect name, thanks to dear old Alice.  Of course, back in 1990, it was just "School's Out" as we had not yet retired.  If you saw us out on it, it was a good bet that school was out for the day or summer.

Back 40 years ago, I had no idea that I would ever get into boating, which we did in 1985, thanks to my deejaying at places on the Chain of Lakes.  We're now on out third boat and have been boating 28 years.

But, back then, I had no idea.

The Second Song Soon.  --RoadDog


A FUNNY HEADLINE:  Dealers Will Hear a Car Talk At Noon.

No comments: