Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Waiting to Get Married 39 Years Ago

Brother Bob, cousin Joe and I were at the apartment in Des Plaines, Illinois, getting ready to drive to Dekalb for Liz and my wedding about this time 39 years ago.

Once there, we checked in with everyone at the Holiday Inn on Lincoln Highway and then I took them for a tour of the campus.  Hey, the groom is just so  much clutter at a wedding.  Almost an afterthought.

We must have been a bit late getting back as Dad was REALLY ANGRY.

Liz and I were married at the Newman Center by the Northern Illinois campus by Father Dan

The wedding reception was at the Holiday Inn.  We left about 11 PM and drove our new car, the '73 Pinto, to Galena, Illinois, for the honeymoon.  Seemed like we drove forever and was I ever tired.  Neither of us had ever been to Galena before.  At one point, I saw cliffs beside the road and was wondering where in the world we were.  Illinois shouldn't be having cliffs.

I remember hearing "China Grove" by the Doobie Brothers and "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group on WLS-Am on the drive.  Those two songs always remind me of our Forever Drive that night and  wee hours of the morning.

Arrived at the Palace Motel way late.  The owners had gone to bed and left the room open for us.

Definitely shouldn't have driven all that way.

But We Were So Much Younger Way Back Then.  --RoadDog

No comments: