Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Old Ironsides Earns Its Name 200 Years Ago Tomorrow

I just got back from the Spring Grove post office where I bought two First-Day of Issue stamp books for the War of 1812, featuring the USS Constitution.  I even sent myself an envelope with a Constitution stamp on it.

Tomorrow is not only my brother Bob's birthday, but 200 years ago, the USS Constitution engaged the British ship HMS Guerriere in battle and defeated it.  The British cannonballs seemed to bounce off the hull of the Constitution, earning it the name "Old Ironsides."

I'll be writing about it and even doing an entry on my Not Forgotten: War of 1812 blog tomorrow on the event.

This past week was quite an eventful one 200 years ago during the War of 1812.  On Wednesday, there was the Fort Dearborn Massacre and Thursday, Detroit surrendered.

I've been writing about it in the 1812 blog.  You can check it out in Blogs I Follow.

"Aye, Tear Her Tattered Ensign Down."  --RoadDog

2 comments:

Daddy Bob said...

Thanks for mentionong my birthday tomorrow.

RoadDog said...

You Gettin' Mighty Old. Glad I'm Not That Old.