Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

8:46 AM Eastern Time Zone, 7:46 Here in Chcago.

Listening to Allen Vick on WNCT in Greenville, NC, right now at 8:46.  He just played first newscasts of the event eleven years ago today and segued into Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA."

Right now, at 8:49, he is playing a song about it that I've never heard before.  I would have played that Alan Jackson song, "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)."  That still gets to me.

I was teaching 7th grade at Magee Middle School in Round Lake.  After first period, a teacher came up to me and whispered that a plane had hit the World Trade Center in NYC.  I was unable to get TV reception or on the new computer in the room, but we did listen to events as they unfolded on the radio.  Second period to the end of school was just radio and talking about it.

The next day, I assigned the students to write a report on their memories of the day.  I always stressed history as it happens to the kids and this definitely fit that definition.  Every year after that, the kids had to write a 500-word report on 9-11.  The last several years, it was more of them asking family members what they remembered as they were too young.

Never Forgetting and Very Fitting That the Big Chicken Wasn't Around to Celebrate.

No comments: