Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Alabama Knows NIU Football

From the Sept. 16, 2012, Alcom "Alabama Media Group: Answering Your Questions about prep and college sports" by Kevin Wendt of the Huntsville (Al) Times.

Someone was complaining about the lack of coverage in Alabama papers of Alabama State, North Alabama, West Alabama and Troy.  There was too much Auburn, Alabama and SEC news.  Believe me, as a Northern Illinois fan, I know exactly where they're coming from.

Wendt wrote, "Is it fair?  Well, not if you're a fan of a particular school.  I wish the Chicago Tribune would treat Northern Illinois University like it does Notre Dame.  I can argue until I'm blue in the face that NIU has been far more interesting and successful of late, but let's be serious, there's a pretty limited NIU audience versus Notre Dame (which isn't even in Illinois)."

Very true.  But at least someone in Alabama knows us.  Well, actually I should say that Alabama fans sure know who we are.  When we at the Go-Daddy Bowl in Mobile back in January, every 'Bama fan who saw us in out Huskie attire said, "We know you guys.  You BEAT US!!"  We sure did!!

I'd say that meant more to me than the come-from-behind victory at the bowl game.  Well, kind.

Also, Tribune coverage of the Huslies has increased quite a lot, at least in football.  Basketball coverage lags, but we haven't been doing very well in that for many years.

Now, I also realize that writing this pretty well jinxes us for the game against Central Michigan this Saturday, but I had to say it.

Sorry About That.  --RoadDog


THE LAST WORD PLAY:  When the actress saw her first strands of gray hair, she thought she'd dye.

No comments: