Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Brought Back Memories of Dad

I was listening to Allen Vick this morning on WNCT, 1070 AM, out of Greenville, NC, as I often do while spending too much time on these blogs, when he played Shirley Ellis' "Clapping Song."  At the end, he said that now that song would be in your head all day.  True.  Singing it in my brain right now.

But, I must admit that it brought back some memories of Dad.  He used to sing one stanza from the song to us all the time:

"3,6,9, the goose drank wine
The monkey chewed tobacco on the street car line
The line broke and the monkey got choked
And they all went to heaven on a little rowboat."

If he sang that once, he sang it a thousand times when we were growing up.  I remember when I first heard the Shirley Ellis song back in the 60s and thinking, "Wow, that's Dad's song!  How'd she know it?"

He also had that ode to his high school in Mt. Olive, North Carolina, that went something like "Skinnyder- rinky, dinky, dinky, skinnerderinky-doo, Mt. Olive we love you."  I always thought he made that one up as I can't imagine any school having a fight song like that.  They'd have the other school laughing so hard, they couldn't play. Maybe that's why they sang it, if indeed, that was their real fight song.

Thinking of You, Dad. 

No comments: