Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Deaths: Played for Glenn Miller and the Beach Boys

PAUL TANNER, 95

Died Feb. 5th.  trombonist in the Glenn Miller Orchestra and played a space-age instrument on the Beach Boys' great "Good Vibrations." Also performed with Tex Benecke and Henry Mancini.  Music professor at UCLA for 23 years.

Helped develop the electric theramin, a keyboard -style instrument heard on several Beach Boys songs including "Good Vibrations," that high-pitched sound you heard.

I didn't much like Big Band songs when I was growing up because that was the music of my parents and we kids were forced to listen to it, especially bad on road trips and they controlled the radio.  However, after college, I started listening to my in-laws' Big Band and Swing records and, "Hey, this stuff's pretty good."  I've since built quite a collection of that music in LPs, cassette tapes and CDs.  And, I'd have to argue that "In the Mood" is the best song ever written.

And, of course, those Beach Boys were definitely my era.

I'm Feeling Them Good Vibrations.  --RoadDog


WISDOM OF CHILDREN:  When your dad is mad and asks you, "Do I look stupid?"  Don't answer.

No comments: