Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Deaths: Stompin Tom-- "The Hockey Song"

STOMPIN' TOM CONNORS, 77

Died March 6th.  Dubbed "Stompin' Tom" for habit of pounding floor with his left foot during performances.  Wide commercial success eluded him during his four year career, but, "His songs are regarded as veritable national anthems thanks to their unabashed embrace of all things Canadiana."

I had never heard of him before and sure wish I had.  Just the nickname would have caused me to give him a listen.  I just got off another extended time on You Tube listening to his music and I know for a fact I would have liked him.  I'll have to yell at buddy Canadian Al the next time I see him as he should have mentioned Stompin' Tom.

This guy is another Pat Dailey who has huge regional success around Ohio, the Great Lakes and Key West.

Three of his songs:Sudbury Saturday Night," "Bud the Spud" and "The Hockey Song" are played at every Toronto Maple Leaf home games.  Others that I especially liked were "Zakuska Polka," "The Bug Song," "She Don't Speak English" and "Cross Country" which could easily serve as a Canadian National Anthem.

I'll sure be back to listen to more of his songs and believe I'll have to order some of his CDs.

No comments: