Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Done In By the Beatles-- Part 1: Ginny Arnell and "Dumbhead"

On the WLS Silver Dollar Survey from January 17, 1964, the week that the Beatles debuted with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" at #40, I was familiar with all the songs except numbers 8 and 9. (A quick recap: #1. THERE I'VE SAID IT AGAIN-- Bobby Vinton // #2. DRAG CITY-- Jan and Dean // #3. SURFIN' BIRD-- Trashmen // #4. CALIFORNIA SUN-- Rivieras // #5. YOU DON'T OWN ME-- Lesley Gore //// #6. POPSICLES & ICICLES-- Murmaids // #7. HEY LITTLE COBRA-- Rip Chords #8. DUMBHEAD-- Ginny Arnell // #9. DAISY PETAL PICKIN'-- Jimmy Gilmer // #10. JAVA-- Al Hirt. //// #10 I had heard before, but didn't know the title. #9 I hadn't heard, but knew the singer, Jimmy Gilmer of "Sugar Shack" fame. But #8 was another story, I had never heard of the song or the artist. Who was this Ginny Arnell? And what sort of song would be titled "Dumbhead?" //// Some Research Needed. --RoadDog

No comments: