Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, October 24, 2019

From Happy to Sad, Big 10 Football Fun-- Part 3: #5 Ohio State, #4 Iowa


5. OHIO STATE--  The first time you see the "Shoe", you might be awed by its size and grandeur.  There is a massive tailgating area and then, that marching band, which bills itself as TBDBITL:  "The Best Damn Band In The Land" and they live up to that as well..  Before the game, about 10,000 fans go to the St. John Arena  for a concert.  However, OSU fans have a reputation for being less than cordial to visiting fans.

Though I am definitely NOT an OSU fan, one year a buddy and I were in Columbus when the Buckyeyes played Indiana at home.  And, I was pulling for OSU, something I thought I'd never do.  But it is always more fun to be cheering with the home team when you are in their home.  I had a real good time at several bars.

4.  IOWA--  When "Back in Black" plays, the crowd roars in anticipation of "The Swarm" where Iowa players lock arms before running onto the field.

And recently, they have added another tradition, "The Wave" as fans show support for patients in the children's hospital that overlooks the stadium.  That to me is probably the greatest college football tradition anywhere and really moves you as you can see the kids waving back.  I'm getting tingles just typing this.

Kinnick Stadium is a classic brick stadium that seats about 70,500 fans, but there are often 100,000 or more people in black and gold milling around.

--RoadFan

No comments: