Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Back to the Summer of 1970-- Part 8: "War"


On Sunday, August 2, Bob Stroud played Part 3 of his Summer of 1970  on his Rock and Roll Roots show on Chicago's WDRV, 97.1 FM, the Drive.  These were the songs on the radio and in your record collection (that would be albums and 45s back then) on August 2, 1970.  For those of you counting, that would be FIFTY years ago.  My how time does fly by.

My family had just moved from Palatine, Illinois, where we had lived for seven years (the longest I ever lived in one place growing up), to Dunwoody, Georgia.  My dad was transferred a lot working for Quaker Oats.  He was now working at the Southern Regional Office of the company.

I was with my family in Georgia, but would be returning to Northern Illinois University in DeKalb for my sophomore year and living at the Delta Sig house out on Greek Row.

WAR--  Edwin Starr     (An appropriate song for this time.)
BEFORE YOU ACCUSE ME--   Creedence Clearwater Revival
LAY DOWN (CANDLES IN THE WIND)--  Melanie    (As I have said before, this song takes me right back to the Kent State riots at NIU in May.)

BORDER SONG--  Elton John
TWO OF US--  Beatles
GLAD--  Traffic

Name That Tune (from the above songs):  "We Were So Close, There Was No Room.  We Bled Inside Each Other's Wounds."  Answer below.  --RoadDog


"Lay Down (Candles in the Wind)"

No comments: