Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, August 9, 2021

Good Times Around Here, August 1-- Part 3: Summer of 1971, PLAV's Street Party, Brats, Burgers, Beer and a Band

SUNDAY, AUGUST 1

The usual Sunday morning stuff.  Bob Stroud played part 3 of his annual Rock and Roll Roots to the Summer of 1971, fifty years ago.  Of course, I had to record it.  You can see what he played in the last several posts.  He'll have a part 4 on Sunday, September 5 from 9 am to noon CDST on WDRV. This was a fun college year for me, spent between NIU and UGA.

Watered and watered and watered.  We could sure use some rain.

I had planned to go to the McHenry VFW to watch their afternoon band and then go to the McHenry American Legion.  But Liz said she thought she had seen something from the PLAV (Polish Legion of American Veterans) in McHenry about their annual summer street party.

There was no question where I wanted to go when  I got that bit of information.  Get me to the PLAV ASAP.

She was right.  Of course, we didn't have it last year because of you-know-what, so I was really looking forward to it and would not have been very happy to miss it.  I'm so glad Liz told me about it.

For $15, I got auce and aycd brats, burgers, side salads, corn on the cob and draft beer.  Now, that is what I call a deal.  Plus, we had a great country band playing and karaoke in between.  And the weather was hot, but breezy and felt fine under the tent.

Afterwards, to the McHenry Legion for an adequate $2.50 Bloody Mary.

A Real Good Time.  Thanks PLAV.  --RoadDog

LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE, WARM WATER THEOREM:  When the body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.  And, I have an ADDENDUM:  Just as soon as you fall asleep for your nap, the phone doth ring.


No comments: