Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Every Bloomin' Thing


One thing I strive for is to have a blast of color at all times, primarily by using perennials. Starting in March and going through to October, it is just one bloomin' thing after another.

Right now, the Shasta daisies are fast fading, and becoming quite a job to remove. Some I cut, others I dig up and toss. Every year, I try to greatly reduce the numbers, but they just keep coming back. I know some friends who won't take them, claiming that they're essentially weeds. Weed or not, that blast of white is something to behold.

Right now, the yard has gone from a blast of white to a blast of yellow. The marguerittes (a type of yellow daisy) and coreopsis (tickweed) are in full bloom. In addition, I have Missouri primrose and another beautiful, but very invasive plant, with masses of yellow flowers on 16 to 20 inch stalks blooming.

White is still represented as well. Some of the Shastas are still in bloom, plus the wild daisies. I also have large numbers of regular daisies in tall, medium, and small sizes that are just coming into bloom. There is also another white perennial blooming, but I don't know what it is called.

I often go into nurseries to look for plants and find out the names of some I have forgotten. It's either old age or I have TOO many plants. Probably a combination of both.

Blue/ purple is represented by Jacob's ladder and some beautiful blue flowering plant about 18 inches tall. I intend to divide these when they're spent.

In addition, the ten clematis are blooming. The larger columbines (about 20) are still showing their multi-hued colors. Most of the mid-size ones (about 60 are history). The gladidoras are brilliant and peonies are still going as well. My one rose plant, a pink one, is ablaze. I don't much like anything with thorns.

Some of the daylillies are blooming and the Asiatic lillies are budding out big time.

A Sight to See Wherever I Look. --RoadDog


THIS DAY IN HISTORY- 1215- The Magna Carta was sealed. It is considered to be a cornerstone of democracy although it was just a bunch of rich nobles protecting their own interests after King John really started taxing them. It did put limits on the monarch's power and led to the Great Council, which morphed into Parliament, which became Congress in the US. Like the man says, never underestimate the power of angry rich folk.

I was lucky enough to get to see one of five copies of this document that was made in 1215 at an impressive English cathedral last summer.

--Thanks Mom.


No comments: