Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, June 18, 2007

More Mama Robins, Gigantoraptors, Mallards, and Cicadas


While working out in the part of the yard I call Frances' Back 40, after her suggestion, I had a run-in with another Mama Robin. I'm really getting tired of these Mamas. If they want to have a nest in my yard, that's fine with me. However, I could really do without the commotion and fuss when I get too close to all those wide-open young mouths, er, beaks.

This one flies up into the maple tree, squawks loudly, and ruffles her feathers. Sometimes, she does the injured ground walk. When I have the hose, I try to cool her off.

I see where scientists have discovered a huge bird like dinosaur in China's Gobi Desert. I'm sure the Mama Robins would like to bring back their long-gone ancestor to do me off. The ingrates.

Last Wednesday, I had a pair of mallard ducks floating around in my little pond (about 5 by 3 feet). When they saw me, they indignantly got out, shook their tailfeathers, and waddled off.

Also, this past week, while working in the yard, I heard something off in the distance which sounded like someone screaming, or, sometimes, crying. I have decided that it must be the cicada sound I've heard so much about.

A five-year-old boy in a Chicago suburb found a cicada with white eyes (they are really bright red), a one in a million chance. He says he is going to keep it until it dies, then let it go. I'm sure the cicada will be happy to learn that.

Trying to Live with Those Mama Robins. --RoadDog

No comments: